Network Performance Specialist in the Experimental Physics (EP), LHCb Computing Group (LBC).
You will join:
- The Physics (EP) Department that carries out basic research in the field of experimental and theoretical particle physics. It aims at providing a stimulating scientific atmosphere and remains an important reference centre for the European physics community. It contributes to the education and training of young scientists.
- The LHCb Computing Group (LBC) which is supporting the Large Hadron Collider Beauty experiment (LHCb), an experiment set up to explore what happened after the Big Bang that allowed matter to survive and build the Universe we inhabit today.
- Within the LBC group, you will join the Online team, which is the main responsible team for all aspects of data movement and handling, controls and monitoring and IT infrastructure of the LHCb experiment. We are also the main player in the global LHCb detector operations.
The LHCb experiment at CERN is building a data acquisition system which will have the highest data throughput of any scientific instrument to date. To this end we will use state-of-the art network technologies at links speeds of 100 Gigabit/s and beyond. Sustaining the challenging all-to-all traffic in the core network will be crucial for the success of the experiment.
As a network performance specialist, you will take a leading role in the detailed implementation and performance optimisation of the core data acquisition network for the LHCb upgrade. This mainly includes:
- Development of necessary applications for the movement of the data and the systems performance tuning of the network hardware.
- Commissioning of the whole system and the transitioning to the production phase.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the fields of computer science, physics or related engineering. or equivalent.
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States
and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 21.11.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
About the Company
Company Name : CERN
Address : , Agno, SWAZILAND
Company Profile: At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter – the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature