Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical Technician in the Beams Department (BE), Beam Instrumentation Group (BI), Mechanics and Logistics (ML) Section.
You will join the Beams Department, which hosts the Groups responsible for beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimisation for all CERN accelerators including the LHC. You will work in the Beam Instrumentation Group and collaborate with many different specialists in the field of electronics, software, mechanics and physics to master the challenges of developing and maintaining the mechanical systems measuring accelerated particle beams.
As a Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical Technician in the mechanics and logistics Section, your task will be to build, install and maintain the mechanical systems used to monitor particle beams throughout the CERN accelerator complex.
Your main activities will consist of:
- Mechanical and electro-mechanical design, production, assembly and installation of new instruments for measuring and optimizing the performance of the LHC and its injector chain.
- Maintaining the mechanical components of beam instrumentation systems across the CERN accelerator complex.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience as a technician in the field of mechanics or electro-mechanics.
- Experience of working in an accelerator environment would be an advantage.
- Initial experience in calculating mechanical structures would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Commissioning & maintenance of mechanical equipment & systems.
- Precision assembly and construction.
- Design of mechanical systems.
- 3D & 2D technical drawing.
- Contract Management.
- Design of electro-mechanical systems for UHV environments.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations. Willingness to acquire the knowledge of the other language rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States
irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26.11.2017.
About the Company
Company Name: CERN
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. They use the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments to study the basic constituents of matter – the fundamental particles. The particles are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives the physicists clues about how the particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature