Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Layout Designer is in charge of making sure that the layout of the content of any publication is performed to standards of the press and in-line with international presses. He/she should the articles and books content to publishable versions in pdf and XML formats. He/she should proofread the content and ensure that the layout is consistent with the research methods, QU Press guidelines and appealing to the readers. He/she is responsible of producing the final layout for books and articles, this includes the front and back cover designs of books.
- To verify the font, format and layout of books and articles content and covers.
- To ensure proper placement and spelling for authors’ names, titles, biographies, ISBN, DOIs, contributors, registries, etc…
- To design the final pdf version and Xml coded version of books and articles.
- He/she might work on a specific production software to produce books and articles.
- To make sure that chapters content follow the same sequence of table of contents.
- To ensure document structure and content are consistent.
- To ensure page numbers are in the right order and not repeated or omitted.
- To make sure that Arabic content is not flipped (especially numbers).
- To make sure citations and references are designed based on the publishing guidelines of the Press.
- To make sure all logos, titles, contact information (if any) on front and back covers are displayed correctly and accurately.
- To liaise with copy-editors and acquisitions in order to get final approval on content and design.
- To stay abreast with new technologies that speed up the production while improving the quality.
- To familiarize himself/herself with each publication’s guidelines and style guide and provide feedback/updates to the Production Manager and related team members.
- To create a checklist for production milestone with the Production Manager.
- To keep all information about a submitted manuscript confidential, sharing it only with those involved in the review and publication processes.
- To perform other relevant duties as needed.
About the Company
Company Name: Qatar University
In 1973, Qatar’s first national College of Education was founded by decree of the Emir of Qatar, in his vision to place education as a priority in the country’s expansion. Among a small population, the College admitted a respectable 57 male and 93 female students in its first year.
The country’s rapid development highlighted the need for the College’s expansion, to provide additional areas of specialization in line with the requirements of the population. Therefore, in 1977, Qatar University was founded with four new colleges; Education, Humanities & Social Sciences, Sharia, Law & Islamic Studies, and Science. From there, the institution rapidly expanded, with the founding of the College of Engineering in 1980 and College of Business in 1985. In addition, it originally supported several small independent research centers, and worked to establish a national community college; the College of Technology.
Following the establishment of Education City and the Qatar Foundation in 1996, a new era of competitive options for local institutions of higher education began, and Qatar University’s functions and services were re-evaluated. In 2003, the University embarked on an ambitious Reform Plan to increase the efficiency of its administrative and academic processes. To this end, a university-wide Strategic Plan 2010-2013 was launched, incorporating Key Performance Areas which focused on promoting quality education and efficient and effective services. The Plan also renewed focus on research, leading to the establishment of the Office of Academic Research in 2007, which oversaw a growing number of high-profile satellite research centers. Community service also became a large focus, and many facilities and services were enhanced and expanded upon, to meet the needs of the public.
Today, Qatar University comprises nine colleges: Arts and Sciences; Business and Economics; Education; Engineering; Health Sciences; Law; Medicine; Pharmacy; and Sharia and Islamic Studies. Over the years, the University has continually expanded its wide range of new programs—the largest selection in the country—while fastidiously seeking the highest international accreditations, and ensuring they are aligned with the growing needs of the labor market and the aspirations of the society it serves. It currently boasts a population of over 14,000 students, and an alumni body of over 30,000.
Company Website: http://www.qu.edu.qa/