As a service provider with worldwide operations in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions. GIZ is a public-benefit federal enterprise and supports the German Government as well as many public and private sector clients in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
For the team of our Project for Environmental and Resource Efficiency (PURE), we seek applications from suitable candidates for position of “Senior Advisor- Managing Chemical and Environmental Performance”.
Job Location: Dhaka (with field visit)
Contract Duration: December 2018
Possible Contract Starting Date: September, 2017
The position holder shall be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Experience in team leading and building
- Educating, coaching, advising, monitoring different factories with regard to baseline assessment/continual assessment reports for implementing CMS.
- Lead the consultants that coach the different factories in implementing the improvement plan through regular factory visits.
- Providing guidelines for developing all the chemical management tools, documentation required for CMS in the factories.
- Identify non- productive output (NPOs), scope of improvements and making interventions.
- Develop and monitor factory improvement plans
- Maintain and feed in new data to a project monitoring system.
- Demonstrate reactiveness in achieving the project’s objectives.
- Perform other duties and tasks at the request of the management.
- Provide support to develop a functional Chemical Management System in the factory.
B. Required Entry Qualifications and Competencies:
Formal Education & experience
- Postgraduate degree in Textile Engineering/ Chemical Engineering/ Environmental Chemistry/ Environmental Science & Engineering or any other relevant fields.
- At least 5 years of professional experience of which 5 or more years of related experience in Chemical Management in small and medium-sized enterprises, process engineering including dyeing, printing and effluent treatment plant management preferable in the textile sector.
- Well versed in local and regional rules/Act/codes/standards/ on labor, industry and environment, toxic chemicals (e.g. Bangladesh Labor Rules, Industrial and environmental rules, Waste water discharge guidelines, ZDHC guidelines, REACH, Brand RSL, ZDHC RSL/MRSL, etc.)
- Familiar with international certification on environmental management system (e.g. ISO 14001:2015, OEKO TEX, STEP, GOTS, Higg Index etc.)
- Substantive knowledge about ZDHC, Bluesign and according approved/positive listed chemicals, etc.
- Substantive knowledge of (1) textile wet processing, (2) profitable chemical management (3) Sustainable cleaner production (Greener Chemistry/ Alternative Chemistry), (4) water management including chemical use at wet processing units (hot spot analyses) and (5) effluent (waste/ sludge) treatment, hazard chemical/solid/sludge management system.
- Team leading experience
- Knowledge on international compliance standards in the RMG industry
- Good working knowledge of ICT technologies (eg. phone, fax, email, internet etc.) and computer applications (e.g. MS office, MS Excel, Power point etc.)
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with team building attitude
- Good Language skills in Bangla and English (both in writing and speaking)
- Self-confident and professional attitude working in factory environment with factory managements also in conflicting situations.
- Transferable knowledge/Coaching/Training skills for adult learning are an asset.
We only accept electronic applications.
If you meet the above requirements You can apply through the link below.
If you face any difficulties while applying for this position, please send your CV and cover letter to email address
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Senior Advisor- Managing Chemical and Environmental Performance”.
Last Date of Application : August 21, 2017
No phone calls please. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated according to the merit and with strict confidentiality.